Volunteering alongside fellow neighbors is is great way to improve your community while also building closer relationships with those who live right next door.
Interested in rallying your neighborhood to volunteer this year? Here are five tips on how to plan a neighborhood volunteer day:
- Plan early. The holidays are a busy time, so it is best to schedule a volunteer day a few weeks in advance to optimize participation. Get the ball rolling ahead of schedule to make sure folks can pencil the event into their calendars and plan on joining in.
- Think outside the box. Many local charities fill up with volunteers over the holiday season, so consider activities such as a neighborhood clean-up or beautification project that would allow all neighbors to participate.
- Utilize technology to organize. Nextdoor’s Poll feature is a great way to find a day and time that works for a majority of the neighborhood. Once you’ve picked a day, create an Event, share information on the newsfeed, and encourage neighbors to join in.
- Show your pride. For added fun, make community volunteer shirts or choose a color for everyone to wear to create a sense of teamwork and unity.
- Capture the moment. Take pictures throughout the day to share with your fellow neighbors, both as a way to commemorate the day for those involved and to share your success with neighbors who weren’t able to join in.
From all of us here at Nextdoor, we wish you a successful volunteer day and a very happy Thanksgiving! We’re thankful for all that you do every single day in your neighborhoods, and we’re honored that Nextdoor can play a small role in making it the place you love to call home.
Do you have a story about how you have used Nextdoor in your neighborhood? Let us know.