It’s that time of year and what better way to get in the holiday spirit than by giving back to your community! From volunteering for a neighborhood beautification project with fellow neighbors to serving a hot meal to those in need, there are plenty of ways to share some holiday cheer. This year, we’re teaming up with Feeding America to help connect neighbors with local food banks in their community. Learn how you can get involved here.
If you are interested in planning a volunteer opportunity of your own, we’ve gathered a few tips on how you can better your community while also building closer relationships with those who live right next door.
- Plan Ahead. The holidays can be a busy time and one way to ensure you can bring the most neighbors together is to schedule your volunteering efforts in advance. Ask your neighbors on Nextdoor what days and times work best for them.
- Get Planning. Not sure where to start? Create a poll on Nextdoor asking neighbors where they would like to focus their volunteering efforts to find a local cause or organization that best fits the needs of your community.
- Be Creative. Think about the unique skills and talents your neighbors have to offer and divide up the tasks appropriately. Neighbors will feel more fulfilled knowing they’ve contributed and all can walk away knowing the volunteer day was a success!
- Spread the news. Create an Event on Nextdoor to publicize your neighborhood’s volunteer day. Share with your nearby neighborhoods as well to make sure more people know about your event.
- Make it fun. Meeting new neighbors, connecting with old friends, and helping to make your community a better place is a recipe for a good time. Add some volunteer t-shirts, photos, and yummy snacks in the mix and you’ll have a day to remember!
From all of us at Nextdoor, we wish you a great volunteer day and a very happy Thanksgiving!
Do you have a story about how you have used Nextdoor in your neighborhood? Let us know.