While shoppers this Cyber Monday are excitingly buying packages for their loved ones, neighbors everywhere are staying on high alert to make sure their items arrive safely.
This year alone, there are approximately 1.6 billion packages expected to be sent between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, making package safety all the more relevant for holiday shoppers across the country.
Neighbors are turning to Nextdoor to help prevent package theft by asking each other for help picking up packages when they’re delivered, sharing tips to keep their items safe, and even posting surveillance footage to help catch package thieves in the act.
After turning to your neighbors, make sure to check out the tips below for other ways to ensure you get your packages safely delivered this holiday season.
- Upgrade to concierge shipping services. With a simple click of the mouse services like Shyp and UPS My Choice provide options for advanced package tracking, allowing you redirect a package, receive detailed updates on estimated delivery time, and send an email or text once your package has been delivered.
- Alternate your shipping address. If you don’t feel secure with your packages on your doorstep, try routing packages to your work address, leaving it at a nearby post office, or consider leaving it with another neighbor or friend.
- Track your shipment. Make sure to keep an eye on your package every step of the way by following the USPS real-time tracker. You can even opt-in to receive text alerts updating you on the status of your delivery.
- Don’t leave packages out overnight. Once you receive notice that your package has been delivered make sure to bring it inside right away, to reduce the chance that it could get into the wrong hands. If you aren’t able to secure the package, reach out to your neighbors on Nextdoor to see if they can help!
- Install a security camera. The use of security cameras can deter burglars, keep your packages safer, and help you keep an eye on your home while you’re away. With products like Nest Cam Outdoor and the Ring doorbell, security begins at the touch of a finger.
From all of us at Nextdoor we hope you have an amazing holiday season with all your packages safely and securely delivered.
Join your neighborhood on Nextdoor here.
Do you have a story about how you’ve used Nextdoor in your neighborhood? Let us know.