Neighborhood Sponsors on Nextdoor have the unique ability to target exactly which communities will see their ads and the two custom Newsfeed posts they share each month, which showcase their local expertise and build their reputation. It’s real estate marketing – and relationship building – at a hyperlocal level. And with the launch of ‘Your Home,’ agents have another touchpoint to engage and build their local reputation with verified members on Nextdoor.
How can you become a successful Neighborhood Sponsor? Follow our checklist:
1. Claim your free Business Page. Go to nextdoor.com/create-business. If your Business Page represents just you (or you and your partner), select Individual. If it will represent your entire brokerage or office, select Business. If you’re a broker and want your agents to use Nextdoor, tell them to follow this checklist!
Tip: Linking your Business Page with your existing member account enables your accounts to share login credentials; all notification emails from both accounts will be sent to the same email address. To keep your accounts separate and/or receive Nextdoor notifications at separate email inboxes, sign out of your member account before creating your Business Page. Then, register with a different email address.
2. Set up your Agent Profile. After claiming your Business Page, head to the ‘Business profile’ tab to complete your Agent Profile. Add a Service Category to your page to represent whether you are a “real estate agent” or “real estate broker”; these categories give you the ability to purchase a Neighborhood Sponsorship. After you’ve added the appropriate service category, check out our tips for building out your agent profile.
Note: Setting up a Business Page for your broker, office, or team? Make sure to note who the page represents in the ‘Business name’ and include either a logo or team photo for your profile photo.
3. Add your desired ZIP codes. Navigate to the ‘Sponsorship’ tab of your Business Page to check on the availability and pricing of your desired ZIP codes. You do not have to live in the ZIP code(s) that you want to sponsor. Enter your payment information to purchase and become a sponsor immediately. The more ZIP codes you sponsor, the more neighbors you can reach with your ads and Newsfeed posts.
Once you’ve purchased your desired ZIP codes, preview your ads. Click on ‘Preview ad’ from the ‘Sponsorship’ tab to see what your ads look like to neighbors.
The information displayed in your ads is tied directly to your Agent Profile, so any changes that you make to your business name, photo, or phone number will automatically update in your ads.
Your ads will appear in four places:
- Newsfeed: The Newsfeed is what neighbors see when they sign into Nextdoor, and where they spend the most time. Your ad will appear alongside local listings and upcoming open houses in the Newsfeed.
- Real Estate section: Neighbors visit this section to check out local market trends and nearby listings for sale. A Neighborhood Sponsor ad is featured on this page.
- ‘Your Home’ within the Real Estate section: Members can use this section to learn more about their home’s value and local market trends. Alongside the Neighborhood Sponsor’s ad, there is a contact form that encourages members to reach out to their Neighborhood Sponsor for more information about the best time to sell, steps to prepare their home for sale, their home sale calculator, and more.
- Digest emails sent to Nextdoor members on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays: Digest emails contain a summary of the past day’s activity. On Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, the emails contain real estate news with upcoming open homes, local listings, and a Neighborhood Sponsor’s ad.
NOTE: Neighborhood Sponsorship is not exclusive. You may see other agents’ ads appear in rotation with your own ads. Each sponsor receives an equal share of voice over the course of the month.
4. Gather recommendations from clients, family, and friends. Recommendations help build your local reputation, set you apart from other agents, and are often critical to the success of your business. Because every member on Nextdoor has to verify their address, neighbors can trust that the recommendations on your page have come from real people who live in their area. Recommendations show up alongside your Neighborhood Sponsor ads, giving you even more credibility as the neighborhood expert. Don’t forget to review our pointers for getting recommendations on Nextdoor.
5. Engage with the community using your two posts. As part of your sponsorship, you receive two custom posts per month per sponsored ZIP code. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your value as the local real estate expert, and build relationships with neighbors by sharing useful or interesting content. Unused posts do not roll over to the following month, so make sure to use both of your posts each calendar month. As a best practice, share one post in the beginning of the month and another mid-month to help keep you top-of-mind with neighbors.
6. Respond to private messages and replies to your posts. Over the course of the next several months, members will continue to see your ads and your posts and will become more familiar with you as the neighborhood expert. Members may comment on your posts or send you private messages with specific questions. Make sure to ‘Thank’ members for interacting with your posts, and respond to their comments when appropriate. When you receive a private message, respond in two hours or less.
Once you have followed all of these tips, give it time! By building an affinity with members of the local community, you establish your brand and reputation over time, making you the natural choice when homeowners need a real estate agent.
Neighborhood Sponsorship provides a dynamic opportunity for agents to connect with members locally, build their reputation, and strengthen relationships so they can become the to-go agent that neighbors recommend. If you’re an agent or broker interested in real estate advertising on Nextdoor, claim your ZIP code(s) and get started with Neighborhood Sponsorships here.