With the recent rise in anti-Asian rhetoric and unprovoked attacks nationwide, it’s important to reiterate that racism has no place on Nextdoor. Neighbors can play an important role in building stronger, more inclusive communities, and we’ve been inspired by the many neighbors who continue to come together to show their support. In the San Francisco Bay Area, 13-year-old Ashlyn S. posted on Nextdoor to organize a #StandForAsians rally in her own neighborhood, and received an outpouring of support from the community.
While the pandemic is top of mind, it is critical that we support our Asian American neighbors, including our local Asian American businesses. Here is a list of resources to learn more and take action:
- Stop AAPI (Asian American Pacific Islander) Hate
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Stand Against Hatred
- AAPI Progressive Action
- Asian Pacific Fund
- Hollaback! Guide to Bystander Intervention
- American Psychological Association: Talking to kids about discrimination
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
It is also crucial in these times to communicate with kindness, compassion, and respect. We would like to proactively reiterate Nextdoor’s policy prohibiting racism, discrimination, and hate speech along with Nextdoor’s racial profiling prevention resources to ensure conversations on Nextdoor remain respectful and productive. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Threats, insults, or attacks against individuals or groups based on race, color, ethnicity, immigration status, national origin, religion, or faith;
- Derogatory racial terms, slurs, profanity, stereotypes, or other insulting imagery, memes, or language that reduce an individual’s humanity;
- Suggesting, showing, threatening, or glorifying the use of violence — even jokingly — against an individual or group;
- Referring to the current pandemic using terms that may stigmatize or stereotype a group of people, we ask, in accordance with guidance from the WHO, that members use the terms “coronavirus” and “COVID-19” when discussing the current pandemic.
We are committed to removing any content or behavior that violates this policy. We leverage a combination of technology, member reports, and the Nextdoor Neighborhood Operations team of trained specialists to detect and remove content, behavior, and individuals that discriminate or make others feel unwelcome. If you see a post or comment that you believe is discriminatory or racist in nature, please follow these steps to report it. If you see a post from a member whose behavior is discriminatory or racist, please follow these steps to report the individual.
Thank you for your part in cultivating a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood to rely on.
To connect with your local neighborhood, please login at www.nextdoor.com.