B@ND, Black (employees) at Nextdoor, is thrilled to wish everyone a happy Pride Month and start the countdown toward Juneteenth! Both events hold particular significance, as they offer opportunities to reflect on the progress made towards equality and honor the contributions of Black LGBTQ+ folks throughout history.
It’s important to remember that Pride Month and Juneteenth aren’t just about celebration. They’re also about action. We not only want to continue to raise awareness and advocate for Black and LGBTQ+ issues, but also recognize the intersection of racism and homophobia/transphobia.
So as we commemorate Pride Month and prepare for Juneteenth, let’s celebrate the work that’s been done and acknowledge the work still ahead of us.
Here are a few ways you can honor both Pride Month and Juneteenth:
- Watch this video and learn more about intersectionality
- Watch this video on the history of Juneteenth
- Share and support your favorite neighborhood Black Queer-owned businesses on Nextdoor
- Check out this reading list of books by Black Queer authors
- Use Libby to borrow ebooks and audiobooks from these lists for free from your local library
- Use the ACLU’s tracking system to see what’s happening in your state
- Listen to this Spotify playlist and discover the multifaceted creativity of the Black Queer community
This blog was written by B@ND. B@ND is an Employee Resource Group at Nextdoor that cultivates community and champions the advancement of Black employees. We aim to educate Nextdoor leaders and staff on the challenges and experiences of Black people across identities, support Nextdoor in its efforts to create an inclusive and equitable workforce and culture, and to support and empower the communities we operate in.
To connect with your local neighborhood, please login at nextdoor.com.